Thursday, September 18, 2014

Fox Fire...

Between the tracks
     and the asphalt
     he loped down the gravel,
     head down, sniffing
     following some trail
     I could not smell...
His look of surprise

     was priceless
     as his eyes met mine,
     he turned his head sideways
     as if to ask,
     "who are you,
     Shadow in Brown,
     as quiet as myself,

     another Master of Stealth?"...
I responded by kneeling down,

     touching my hand to the ground
     and, still without making a sound,
     approached closer...
He took a few steps closer,

     raised up his nose
     and I knew

     he could not catch my scent
     for with the smoke
     from the campfire it went,
     leaving only the smell of wood...
Came within ten feet,

     as we stared each other down,
     he pawed at the dirt,
     made a mewing sound...
Finally, I spoke,
     saying,
     "Hello, Little Brother,
      give my greetings
      to the Earth,
      our Mother"...
He shook his head
     up and down,
     wagged his tail
     and sauntered off
     without a sound...
Good night to you,

     furred friend,
     I hope to one day

     meet you again...
   
        September 18, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment