Friday, November 2, 2012

As the Rains Came...

The wind howls,
like a lone wolf
baying at the moon
Wet leaves swirl, then splat,
plastered to the wet asphalt
Trees bend to near breaking,
spring backto erect
and then sway
to the mournful tune being played
Empty streets...
as i walk along and alone,
daring to be out amid the tempest
Sirens blare in the distance,
becoming louder
as the fire engines roar past
in a whirl of lights and sound
The gusts of wind
push me like a bully
on the schoolyard playground
The rain buffets me
like waves crashing on the shore
My bare feet tingle,
not from the cold but from the excitement
as i walk with no destination
other than back to my room
where dry books wait
and lights, hopefully, to read by
A bough comes crashing down...
if i was not here
would it still make a sound?
I feel the vibration on the ground
and am splattered
by a shower of leaves and water
My umbrella holds fast
as another gust goes past
and i turn back towards my room
and wonder,
what made me leave
in the first place...

                03-03-10

No comments:

Post a Comment