Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Water Brothers...

Along the river bank,
     a stone's throw
     from the City Green,
     I took a step down
     and a step back
     into the time of Earth, Stone and Water...
There, where babbling brook
     laughed its way to the river,
     a shaft of light pierced
     the greyish-white blanket of sky
     on a cool-to-cold spring morn
     and shone upon a quartz boulder...
Sitting upon the rock,
     nestled within the sharp edges,
     lay a snake like none I've seen
     in my years meandering
     through track, trail and stream...
Black, with brown markings,
     like Australian aboriginal drawings
     of spirits from the sky,
     with a band of white around
     each ghostly figure...
Sluggish from the cool day,
     he did not move as I approached
     and took him from the cold
     into my warm trench coat pocket...
To the pet store to discover
     he is a baby Ball Python
     of about a foot and a half long,
     eaten well and in good health...
He began to circle my wrist
     and we became friends...
Since he was found out of his element,
     I have named him such...
E.T., we've many years ahead...
          May 24, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment