Saturday, January 31, 2015

Green, Green Grass of Winter...

The grass was up past your ankles
     and whispered as I walked past,
"Look, the Green still stands
     to remind you Earth remains,
     unchanged and undying...":
     a patch amid the Desert of White,
     welcome surprise, no small delight;
     Reason be damned,
     how does one explain the sight
     of the Winter Lea
     standing before me
     in a swirling Sea of White?...

Eyes search the ground
to seek what clues
there may be found
and I see to my right
a line of raised Earth;
upon closer inspection
I see it is a drainage pipe,
long left abandoned
at some old construction site,
half buried with each end
sealed up tight
with leaves, deadfall and such;
this is what keeps Earth warmer
and allowed the grass to grow;
funny how it you take a little time
you may actually find
the answers the questions you asked
on your own, don't cha know?...
           Jan. 30 and 31, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment