Sunday, November 27, 2011

River's Edge...

A distraction,
an involuntary reaction...
A Pavlovian response
in avoidance of the mundane...
A fleeting glimpse,
almost as if
i don't exist at all...

On the periphery of my own destiny
as i watch my life pass by me
and capture images and thoughts
that enthrall me,
Oh,  how they do call to me!
Sometimes i feel they are all of me,
i keep them but at what cost? 

Along the river's edge
watching the torrent pass
To remain lost in wonder and awe
or die in complacency:
where is the happy medium
with thoughts that wander
and a soul that flounders
amid the routine and the tedium?

Living as the flotsam and jetsam of civilization;
sodden branches cling to shore,
not wanting to travel downstream anymore,
old newspaper  by the curb
fluttering in the breeze
as across the river,
living in the stand of pines
by the factory long abandoned,
a homeless man walks into the sunlight breaking
and warms his hand by rubbing his knees...
    10-07-10


No comments:

Post a Comment