Sunday, August 7, 2011

Birdland...

To the hollow i did follow
     the trail of upturned leaves
made by a yearling buck i gather
     as I read signs on bended knee
Here he found a squirrel's cache of acorns
     stored away for that one cold crisp morn
i can see the impressions and count the number,
     no surprise it comes to seven...

Down the slope, along the rock ledge
     just my woodland friends and i,
to the best of my knowledge,
     for i never seen footprints other than mine,
the only trace of me here i leave behind
     but for my outposts, the hinter most spots
where i lay warm in the winter
     and cool when it's hot

On the embankment, taking a moment
     to take in the hollow,
streaming  golden warmth,
    rays of misted light
piercing the shadows and cold
     to bring steam rising from the leaves

Here , safe among the thorns,
     have countless birds found their homes
The robins that have never left this year
     sing their rare winter song,
so i sit to have ear,
     draw my knife and carve Spooky Girl's staff
as i watch and listen at what Nature has to offer...

Blue jays, cardinals, red birds and wrens
     and others, with shame i say, i cannot name
Finches flutter at light speed,
     stop and land for an instant,
then take wing again.
     In and out of the briar patch
are the colors of the rainbow
    flying, fluttering, singing and lifting me,
Can you see, can you imagine that,
     my day's lucky catch?...

No comments:

Post a Comment