Tuesday, August 16, 2011

There but...

A cold and windy Thanksgiving evening
as she waited there in line,
layered in every coat she owned
She was younger than me and not,
her eyes belied her age
looking about slowly and silently
without a word she said a lot
My knees went weak,
i could not find a tongue in my mouth to speak
for she had my mother's face...
She walked liked her, moved like her
the same step, the same grace
and beside he was her little son
i was too afraid to see
but i knew before he turned around
he looked just like me
or like i did so many years ago
before i lost my place,
for there was still wonder in his eyes,
still curiosity on his face
He knew not shame, he knew not guilt
he just knew that it was Thanksgiving
and he was happy for the meal,
the time spent in the warmth,
his face shone in gratitude at the giving
And i thought,
Truly, but for the grace of God
go any of you or I
What separates us is what it takes us
just to stay alive
One man's holiday
means a warm meal for someone today
so why not everyday?...
      (Thanksgiving Day, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment