Sunday, August 14, 2011

Moonlight Snowfall...

Took a walk into the darkness
as the first flurries of snow  began to drift down,
frozen dandelion puffs landing without sound
clinging to the rocks and logs
but melting as they hit the ground
Leaves, moist and silent, as the snow lands in your hair
You can see where some creature went here and there;
here it foraged  a moment, there some more time was spent
in the moments before the sun sank behind  the hills
as the last bit of warmth was sent...
  
Again follow the ferns, still green and vibrant,
taking log and stone beneath my steps
so few may follow where this creature went
To my spot among the pines after a short but steep climb,
there to find one of the few things i can call mine,
my place in the hollow where no one has followed me before
With cliff behind me and valley below,
the stars above me put on their nightly show
It never fails; somehow i always become sleepy... 

Awoke two hours later with  a mantle of snow
laying about my shoulders, my hair covered in hoar frost
Rising slowly from the seated position against the pine
my legs scissoring me up like a Punjab rajah
i shook myself like an old brown bear,
took a moment to realize just exactly where i was
and take my bearings from the outline of the trees above
Following a familiar path now lit by fallen snow
walking with the moonlight making the earth glow
gleaming white, cold and bright, wonder of night,
the ghost, haunted by the sights...
               (12-06-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment