Monday, August 8, 2011

Nature is Not Always Graceful...


Green rock wall winding down the slope,
the brown leaves littering the wood, wet and quiet
as sudden showers shaken from limbs fall,
one by one, like liquid dominoes blown down 
by the playfulness of  the warm Western Wind,
cascading about my shoulders and cowl;
Winter came calling but Fall would not answer
as She twirled about Her cottage in the Woods,
rainbow colored  leaves of  carpet swirling
about Her skirt of moss and ferns
dancing with Her warm visitor,
with each turn sighing softly and smiling...

Stop a while and sit cross-legged
carving more of the staff i carry,
 peeling back, layer by layer
to discover what lies beneath;
the soothing sound of blade on Wood
as the rasp and rhythm relaxes the Body and Soul,
searching for smoothness, following lines
as minutes dissolve and i'm back in Time
but even there, she is on my Mind
as my gift lies in my hand

A rustle to my left, coming down the slope,
slipping and sliding with every other step
to end up at the bottom in a heap
is a lone Tom Turkey;
Nearly laughing at the sight, i contain myself
to see what else he might do...
 
Legs spinning in the air like Quixote's windmills,
he finally rights himself with cluck
almost as if to say, "just my luck"
and proceeds on his way as before
Scratching at leaves, no more than fifteen feet away,
i can see his pupils expand and contract
as he looks this way and that
and then straight into my eyes...

Again, the look is priceless,
is he thinking, "what did i miss
and just what is this shadow still
but steaming as the rain sprays about?"
He cranes his neck up and down
and side to side,
trying to see if this shadow hides danger
but then goes on about his way
muttering, "you could at least say hello, stranger"

My smile as wide as the Sky,
tears in my eyes,
my Heart races
and traces of me fly upward,
hoping to find completeness
This is Wonder, this is Greatness,
this is what so many miss
This is a Blessing but also a Curse
for I could be lost here Forever
and i would not be the first...

Aug. 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment