Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hart's Dale...

Walking barefoot in the snow,
     the tingle in your toes
as it melts between them
     showing them gleaming
in the lamp post's circle of light
     framed by falling flakes of white
Look back to see my footsteps,
     dark against the snow and asphalt,
hoping that they remain till  morning's light
     just so someone might wonder
what creature passed this way...
    It is such foolish thoughts
that bring a smile to this sad face

Crossing the parking lot
     and stepping gingerly past
the short rocky path before the trail
     that winds through the wood
The leaves are warm beneath the snow
     and i kick them up as i go,
wanting to run, but i know how that would go,
     a tangled heap would be that end

The cold touch of rock every now and then
     deep piles of leaves at bottom of hills
and on the short side of bends
     Stop for a moment, stick my feet in
covering them till they're warm enough to move on

Now comes the creek,
     this is no test for the weak
as my feet plunge in,
     with a sharp intake of breath
How is it cold water is always a surprise
     not matter how prepared  you are?
It comes straight at you, with no guise
     no time to think or theorize
Two quick steps, not quick enough
     as my ankles wobble and my toes curl up
I  sit on fallen tree and gather kindling,
     though my resolve is strong, my body is dwindling
In minutes a small fire is glowing
     and i'm toasting my toes and eating an apple...

A loud snap to my left,
     why is it always my left?
and here comes a buck,
     the largest i've seen here,
moving as if from every hunter's dream
     He stands just on the other side
of the fire, now warm ash
   lowers his head , snorts and stamps his leg
as if he has a question to ask
     i am frozen like the ground
the heart leaping out of my chest
     the only sound as i rise,
never taking my eyes from him,
     take my knife and cut the apple
and offer him a sliver...
     he takes it and i laugh
and  he darts away at the sound  


Suddenly it matters not how cold it is,
     my feet no longer touch the ground
and i  walk more slowly than i ever have
     wondering was that a dream
and who would ever believe?
     ...but i know it wasn't ...

No comments:

Post a Comment